<$BlogRSDUrl$> < ? chicago blogs # >

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Schoolastic and Baseballs and Lunch, Oh My!
















Back in the elementary school day, the editors all had subscriptions to Dynamite!, a periodical published by Schoolastic. Every month we'd get to order books and magazines from the sanitized Schoolastic list. The editors wanted to share with you our favorite Dynamite! feature, the tear-out eyeglasses with open eyes painted where the lenses would be (so you could take a nap and fool the teacher into thinking you were awake). Alas we could not find them, so we offer this instead. The image on the cover does not go to infinity -- there's a different back issue of Dynamite! at the very center/end.

Ditto on the Monz lunch, except there's a mysterious new type of banana.
Comments:
This entry has changed my life! I've had that "Sandy Beach" baseball card sitting in a drawer for decades, wondering where the hell it came from, and now the mystery is solved! Obviously I was very into Dynamite and actually cut the cards out and attempted to have fun with them! BTW, The banana was horrible -- I took one bite and pitched it.  
Little G still gets to buy books from Scholastic.  
Keep an eye on that catalog -- in the sixth grade I was able to buy "Alive" from the Schoolastic catalog (about the plane crash survivors in the Andes who resorted to canibalism to stay alive) and it Freaked!..Me!..Out!..Man!  
cousin, that was not a banana-- just thought i'd let you know that-  
I don't know even know how to respond to such a wicked trouncing of my cherished childhood memories!!! And, as far as I know, Cousin might have "liked" the banana!  
5 comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?