<$BlogRSDUrl$> < ? chicago blogs # >

Friday, May 12, 2006

I Want Lunch!



Today is not only my last day of guest-blogging for awhile, but it's Chinese Food Friday! I was going to cap the week off with some excellent before and after shots of today's lunch, but I opted for just using a photo of the fortune I received instead. I went to China Garden for some Roast Pork Mai Fun and Chicken Fried Rice with an eggroll. All in all pretty good, ungreasy and filling. A little too much cabbage and onion in the noodles for my taste, however.


Today I am going to finish up Monsieur's request with 5 more random tunes from my ipod. Hang on, let me plug it in . . . ok! Here goes:


6: "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" by Bob Dylan from Bringing It All Back Home. I was aware of this tune long before 1981, but I didn't care. In 81, Dylan was born again and losing fans and his reputation. This was great because it meant that when he toured that year, it was really easy to get great seats! My friend and I went to see him and sat in something like the 6th row center. The show was excellent. This was the final tune he played that night -- he came out alone with just his acoutic guitar and ripped into it. It was an epiphany!


7: "Hungry Freaks Daddy" by the Mother of Invention from Freak Out! What a great Album! Back when local record stores were local record store, I walked into the local record store and saw this sitting in the Zappa section. It was an original pressing on Verve that had probably been sitting there since 1966. I snagged the 2 LP set for $4.95 and walked out. The title alone made me love it, but when I heard the tunes, I freaked out! Zappa was never better than this album. And it made dealing with all the tools in high school so much easier!


8: "Embryonic Journey" from Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow. I got this LP as gift for my birthday in Junior High. I remember the first time I heard this acoustic guitar finger-picked piece of genius. I said to myself, "those two guitar players kickass!" When I got a little older, and I kept listening to it, I realized that it wasn't two guitar players, it was only one! And the author was listed as Kaukonen -- so I knew that one guitar player was Jorma! Since then I've had lots of fun adventures with Jorma, but none as seminal as sitting in a room with his as he taught me how to play this tune!


9: "Little Know it All" by Iggy Pop from Skull Ring. This ferocious angry rock anthem should have been the song of the year when it was released a couple of years ago. And I'm not even in Iggy's fan club!


10: "Wasn't Born to Follow" by the Byrds from The Notorious Byrd Brothers. I first heard this when I watched "Easy Rider" for the first time in high school. The tune was used prominently in the soundtrack and the use of mega-heavy phasing blew my youthful mind! And the Rickenbacker 12-string! I never got over that. The song is a Goffin-King typical 60's pop tune, but in Roger McGuinn's hands it becomes so much more.


Back to you, editors!

Comments:
oh is it too late for more requests? is there an indonesian restaurant near you? i havn't seen you lunch at one ever i dont think..  
Sorry Ale! The EIC takes over again Monday and, if there were anywhere interesting to eat in Waukegan . . . trust me, I'd be there!!!  
Post a Comment
2 comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?