<$BlogRSDUrl$> < ? chicago blogs # >

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Lunch...Or No Lunch?!

We haven't heard from the food editor (FE) for a while, so we asked for a lunch recommendation fit for Monz. Here's what came back:

"Unlike many of my brethren, I have faith in the vox populi...at least when it comes to culinary matters. Thus, I was intrigued when I saw a flyer taped up to a glass case in my grocer's frozen food section. It appologized to shoppers looking for Stouffer's (tm) Lean Cuisine Panini Sandwiches, explaining that nationwide demand had exceeded supply and that Stouffer's was trying to ratchet-up production. Several weeks later I saw the sandwich's were back in-stock, so I picked one up (chicken club). At first I was reluctant to even try one, when one of our "Diners" informed me over the phone "Lean Cuisine?! That's for women! What are you doing buying something marketed to women?" But since it was already paid for, and if it's good Monz can hide the purchase through his Peapod order, I went ahead. The package boasted of a new revolutionary technology which made the bread crispy even though it was microwaved. This technology looked suspiciously like the grey metalic-coated cardboard things used to make microwave pizza crispy (which the FE's mother had some health concerns about when it first came out, but we trust time has resolved those), making this more a street corner disturbance than the return of Robspierre. Continuing to follow instructions, four minutes later (two minutes for cooking, two minutes for standing) the sandwich was taken out of the microwave, quickly assembled and consumed. Mmmmmmm! The bread was toasty! The tomato tasted like a cooked tomato! The meat was a little overseasoned, but overall we must say it was yummy! Try it Mark Monz! Just make sure Mrs. Monz is the one who picks it up."

Today Monz was busy picking up a couple of tamales (one chicken, one beef), a banana, grapes and some stringcheese from good old-to-him, new-to-you Anton's!
Comments:
I've had those sandwiches and, even though my wife DID buy them, they are not only for chicks! I recall it being somewhat yummy, though loaded with fat, sodium and calories.  
Are you sure you didn't have the Stouffer's "Corner Bistro Panini" and not the Stouffer's "Lean Cuisine Panini"? The former is loaded with fat, sodium and calories while the latter isn't.  
Perhaps you are correct, sir.  
Post a Comment
3 comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?